Checklist to start your own business in New Zealand
So, you’re starting a business in New Zealand? Creating a ‘starting a business’ checklist is the best way to help your fledgling business become a roaring success and to ensure you don’t miss anything. We’ve created an easy ‘starting a business checklist’ for you to work through, click below.
How to write a business plan
If you’re setting foot into the small business world and are unsure of how to write a business plan, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered with our free small business plan template and strategy tips. Click below to read more and to download your business plan template now.
NZ Business Number (NZBN)
If you’re considering undertaking business activity in NZ, one of the initial steps you’ll need to take is acquiring a New Zealand Business Number (NZBN). Find out everything you need to know about what a New Zealand Business Number is and why you need one in our article below.
Sole trader business structure in New Zealand
If you’re interested in starting your own business, you’ll need to familiarise yourself with the sole trader business structure and how it operates. Read our article to find out everything you need to know.
How to get a start-up business loan
One of the first hurdles to jump over when you start a business in New Zealand is financing. For many start-ups this means courting funds through a small business loan or start-up loan. Read our article to find about start-up loans that can help fund your small business.
Starting a business FAQs
What business can I start from home?
The Covid-19 Pandemic has opened up a whole new remote world. Trends coming out of 2020 mean it’s never been easier to run your business from home. Cloud applications and the decline of face to face, necessitating new ways of interacting and forming relationships.
Here’s some business that you can start from home:
- Blogging & copywriting
- Buy and sell on ebay or FB marketplace
- Services based businesses e.g accounting, graphic design etc
- Virtual assistant
- Pet grooming/walking
How to choose a name for your small business?
Choosing a name for your business is a big decision, especially if you’re planning to build a brand around it. Use this free tool from the New Zealand Government to check available business names, trade marks, web domains and social media usernames in one quick search.
What are some overlooked business start up costs?
Starting a business can be an expensive exercise. Here are some start up costs that are often overlooked:
- Professionals & business registrations. Including domain name registration, accountant, bookkeeper or business advisor fees or licences and permits for your particular market.
- Technology. Including remote working equipment, software costs, computers, printers, scanners, modems and IT servicing,software for accounting, security, design, documents, internet and mobile packages
- Marketing. Including website, ecommerce, advertising, including social media ad spend, logo, imagery, signage, branding and design
How can I fund my new business?
There are many ways to raise money to support your business, it’s up to you to choose the most suitable and sustainable option for you and your business. Here are some common capital raising methods:
- Existing savings or current earnings if you are still working.
- Selling assets
- Family & friends
- Credit card
- Loan from the bank
- Short term business loans
- Government business grants
- Angel investors & venture capital