Reckon is one of Australia’s leading accounting software developers creating business software for accountants and accounting software for businesses. Reckon provides technical support and training services to the end-users of its products and services, which include desktop, hosted and cloud solutions (“the products”).
Reckon is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of your personal information and complying with the obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the applicable Privacy Principles, known as the Australian Privacy Principles on 12 March 2014 ( “the Privacy Principles”).
- the kind of information we collect and hold;
- how and when we may collect and hold personal information from you;
- the purposes for which we collect, hold use and disclose your personal information and what happens if we don’t collect the information;
- the circumstances where we are likely to disclose information to overseas recipients and in which countries they are located; and
- how you can contact us to access or correct personal information which we hold about you or complain about our collection, handling or disclosure of your information.
Personal information, for the purposes of this policy and as defined by the Privacy Act and Privacy Principles, means “information whether or not an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about a person whose identity is apparent, or can be reasonably ascertained, from the information or opinion.”
The Collection of Personal Information
We only collect personal information for purposes which relate to our business, functions and activities. Without your personal information, we may not be able to deliver or give you access to our products, or provide you with technical assistance or updates for our products.
We collect personal information in relation to the:
- registering or activating products;
- verifying and authenticating your purchase, initially and then during your period of use of the product, or where you may have changed details of the computer you are using with the product;
- providing installation key codes, access codes or other related access details;
- refunds and dealing with warranty issues;
- providing technical support, assistance, consulting services and training;
- improving our product and service; and
- generally, to enable us to provide the product and information needed to ensuring you are able to enjoy the maximum benefit of our products.
Subject to your consent, whether express, or implied, ie, where the circumstances of the collection and use are in a manner you would reasonably expect us to collect or use your information, we may also collect and use your information to:
- promote our products to you;
- to provide you with more relevant and personalised information to be more relevant to you and your business;
- use the information to promote products to you of some of our network of associated service providers and product vendors;
- to de-identify your information, and using the de-identified information:
o for internal use for the purposes of analytics with regard to use of our products, development, training and demonstration of our products;or
o for benchmarking and/or or sale to third parties.
When We Collect Personal Information
We most commonly collect personal information directly from our customers or their authorised representatives. Sometimes we may collect information from a third party or a publicly available source, but only if the person has consented to such collection or would otherwise reasonably expect us to collect their personal information in this way, for example, from Reckon Partners from whom you have purchased our product.
In summary, we most commonly collect personal information when you:
- Engage in product related activities, such as:
- when you purchase, register, install or use our products
- when you use our technical support or consulting services
- when you participate in Reckon programs, i.e. Partner Program, Reckon Advantage, become a reseller
- when you provide us with copies of your database or give us access to your database and systems so that we can provide you with the technical support or consulting services you may have requested.
2. Engage with us in other ways, such as:
- in your normal communications with us, when you email, telephone us or give us your business card
– attend public functions, events, seminars, roadshows, conferences, training
- enter competitions
– use our website
- participate in forums, such as Reckon Community or use other social media tools through our website or in relation to our products
When you purchase and use our products, technical support and join Reckon programs we may collect information from you:
- Upon purchasing by you of any of the Reckon products offered through the Reckon website, any Reckon App, Reckon E-Store, Reckon Call Centre, through retail and other sales channels.
- Upon registration by you of any of the Reckon products offered through the Reckon website, any Reckon App, Reckon E-Store, Reckon Call Centre, through retail and other sales channels, such as the Reckon Partner program.
- Upon entering an agreement with us for the installation or implementation of our products, for example, Reckon APS practice management modules, or Reckon APS Private Cloud services.
- Upon the purchasing of upgraded versions or renewal of subscription versions of Reckon products, often in response to our having communicated with you about such upgrades.
- When you use our products.
- When you use our website, community forum, blogs, message boards, & social media links from our website.
- Upon the joining, or renewal, of various Reckon programs, including Reckon Advantage or the Reckon Partner program.
- Upon seeking to become a Reckon product reseller where stock is provided on credit, we may seek financial details before approving the appointment as a reseller.
- When you contact us for technical support or, in relation to Reckon APS products you may also contact us for consulting services, whether online, telephone or in person. Please refer to “Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group”, to understand when your personal information may be disclosed to an overseas recipient, when using our technical support or consulting services.
- We also collect personal information indirectly from Reckon Partners relating to Reckon products you have purchased through them.
Personal information may also be collected when customers sign up for add-on services provided by third party suppliers such as banking services (eg for bank data downloads), or merchant account, superannuation payment services (using Westpac QuickSuper services), SMS text services, such as Reckon SMS services, share trading services, wealth management, bill payments services and the like.
When your contact with us does not relate to a purchased product.
We also collect information at other times, which do not relate specifically to your purchase or use of our products, as described below:
- From delegates who attend our roadshows, briefings, seminars, product training and demonstrations, as well as other public events where registration forms and feedback forms are filled out by attendees.
- From entrants in Reckon competitions, wherever offered, such as via direct mail campaigns, a Reckon website, social media or any other media, at seminars or public events, which may or may not be hosted by Reckon.
- Upon registering to request information from us on our website or your responses to offers or other marketing campaigns, competitions on our website or direct marketing campaigns.
- Use of our website, community forum, blogs, message boards, & social media links from our website.
The information collected from you or your authorised agent directly, would generally comprise name, address, postal address, telephone, fax and e-mail contact details, other authorised users of your product, where applicable, as well as the details of the Reckon product that you use.
High level information in relation to your business may be also be collected and may include details of your industry or profession, for the purpose of better understanding your business and needs in relation to our product.
We collect information from you when installing the product and use of your product , ie a file on your hard drive records the date of installation, such as the unique product number of the computer, collected in relation to your use of the software, for example which may include internet protocol address, hardware identification, operating system, application software, peripheral hardware, non-personally identifiable software usage statistics.
In relation to certain products, we may collect and handle the following;
- Reckon BankData: bank details solely for purpose of providing your authorisation and obtaining relevant approvals from your relevant bank so that you can receive the relevant bank feeds using our products, for example in your applications to authorise bankfeeds;
- Reckon SuperLink: banking details and your employees’ personal information for the purposes of transmitting the payment instructions using Westpac QuickSuper portal to process the superannuation payments in accordance with your instructions;
- information held in databases created using our hosted or online products, such as SyncDirect, Reckon One, Reckon Accounts Hosted or Reckon APS Private Cloud. The information collected would be collated and de-identified, before being used for benchmarking or sale to third parties.
Using our website or social media tools
Depending on the type of activity you are engaging in, we may collect information directly and indirectly when you use our website or social media tools. We may also collect unidentifiable information from you relating to the pages you visit etc. See also “Reckon Website” and “Social Media & Public Forum” below.
Where you have provided your personal details when visiting our website, such as your membership, account or customer details, or registered for an activity, entered transactions you have entered whether paid or free, we may also collect information from you relating to how you use our website, the pages you have viewed, nature of the requests or enquiries you have made etc.
We also use third party service providers to assist us in the collection of this data relating to your use of the website. These service providers may include technology which enables them to also collect other publicly available web-based data or other publicly available information about you, such as any social media accounts providers on our behalf. Please refer to “Third Party Service Providers” to understand our use of third party suppliers.
Technical support or consulting services
If you request technical assistance or, in relation to Reckon APS products, consulting services, you may contact us online, telephone or in person. We may require the following information from you in order to provide you the assistance needed:
- information relating to your problem and our suggested solutions are also recorded by us to assist in better customer relationship management;
- you may also need to provide copies of your data or grant access to your database, provide password, pin or other access details in order that we may assist you with your problem or inquiry. Where passwords or other access details are provided, we strongly recommend that you update those access details once your issue has been resolved;
- you may also be required to provide other details for the purposes of identification and verifying authorisations to provide support, such as if you require us to make any changes to your account or settings;
- information collected from you in relation to technical support or consulting services may be obtained from you online or by telephone, and in the case of consulting services, they may also obtained on or off your premises.
Please also refer to “Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group”, to understand when you may be dealing with one of our technical support or consulting service providers who are physically located outside Australia.
How we use and handle this information
Where information is collected in relation to the purchase or use of a Reckon product, we use your personal information in the following ways:
- We collect personal information so that we can communicate with you about the products that you use and efficiently manage and administer all products we provide to you. These communications could relate to software upgrades, feature variations or enhancements, billings any particular issues or problems that have been detected within the software and corrective measures that may be taken, and informing you of other Reckon products, including the availability of specialised, software specific, stationery products, debt recovery services, software training services, share trading services, banking services, seminars relating to associated products such as share trading classes and other types of classes.
- Identification and re-validation of software end-users assists Reckon in establishing who is legally permitted to use the various Reckon products and therefore assists us in enforcing copyright and intellectual property rights.
- Product information collected when it is installed or used assists us to regularly re-validate that the product is being used on the correct computer and is not installed on other computers without your authority and outside the terms of our licence.
- The information we collect from you relating to your use of the products facilitates the provisioning of updates, support, invoicing or online services to you.
- In the case of Reckon Advantage, the additional questions we ask in relation to your business, which may include details of your industry or, profession, is to assist us in developing a member profile so that future offerings that may be developed for program participants are relevant and appropriately targeted. As part of the Reckon Advantage service we also send correspondence to Advantage members (including by e-mail) containing product related information as well as promotional material.
- In the case of Reckon BankData we only collect data from you to enable you to authorise the relevant bank or financial institution to provide the bankfeeds to be provided and imported into your service using the BankData service.
- In the case of the SuperLink product, we only collect personal information, such as banking details and the personal details of your employees in order to enable SuperLink to transmit the superannuation payments details to Westpac to make the in accordance with your instructions.
- Aggregated information:
o We may also aggregate information which does relate to you to help us to monitor and improve the effectiveness of our website and overall communication to you, for example, providing you information and products relating to matters for which you have indicated an interest in your browsing of our website, or participation in our online activities, requesting information from about products, articles, technical support etc.
o We may also aggregate information which does not relate to you (containing no information identifiable to a specific person) which is collected:
– in relation to your purchase and/or use of our products or relating to use of our website, social media and blogs etc, it may sometimes be used for research and analysis purposes by us or contracted service providers for us to better understand statistical trends in industry and product usage; or
– from databases created using our online or hosted products, for example in SyncDirect, Reckon One, Reckon Accounts Hosted, Reckon APS Private Cloud relating to various expense or payment trends. This information is first de-identified then may be used for benchmarking and/or for sale to third parties.
- Financial information:
o In the case of financial information requested from parties wishing to be resellers and, as such, who are to be provided with Reckon product stock on credit terms, this information is used to perform credit referencing and checking.
o Where credit card information is provided, we use it solely to check your financial qualifications and/or to collect payment from you.
- Technical support or consulting
o Your information will only by used or accessed for:
– the purposes of resolving your technical issue with the product; and
– in some instances your information may be used or shared with other departments or entities within Reckon Group, for the purposes of improving our product or business; or
– your information may be de-identified and used for product development training and the demonstration of our products; and
– once your issue has been resolved your information is returned, destroyed or de-idenitified.
- Where you might have purchased a product from one of our network of Reckon partners:
o then the relevant partner will also have your information and they may from time to time contact you for the purpose of renewal of subscriptions based upon our records of whether or not you have renewed;
o we may at the request of a Reckon partner provide information relating to the status of licences held by people who have purchased a Reckon product from the relevant Reckon partner; and/or
o we may provide de-identified personal information to our Reckon partners, who may or may not be the partner you purchased a Reckon product for market analysis, eg number of current licences for our products held in specific region etc.
- To communicate and promote our products and business.
If the personal information was collected through your other contact with us, ie. not relating to your purchase or use of our product(s), we use your personal information in the following ways:
- To follow up any enquiries you may have made a regarding our business or products and, because of the circumstances or express instructions from you, we communicate with you about products we understand you have or a likely to have an interest. Most of this communication with you will be by email. In all email communication of this kind with you, you will have the opportunity to opt out of any further emails.
- To tailor our communication with you to ensure the information and communication you receive from us is relevant to you.
- To assess and improve the effectiveness of our website and communication with you.
- To communicate and promote our products and business.
We will only use your personal information for direct marketing where we have obtained your consent, directly or indirectly and in compliance with the Privacy Principles and the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). In the absence of express consent from you, we will only use or disclose the information in a way that you would reasonably expect your personal information to be used in relation to our business and products. For example, if you provide your business card to one of our employees at an event, we may communicate with you about our products or future events, unless you instruct us not to do so. In all our direct marketing to you, you will always have the ability to request us to discontinue sending to you any further of such direct marketing material to you.
If you would prefer not to receive communications from us that do not relate to any products to which you have subscribed or which you have purchased, please contact us as follows:
Phone: 1800 RECKON (1800 732 566)
Fax: (02) 9577 5557
Ph: 0800 447 292
Fax: 09 414 3651
Or write to us:
The Privacy Officer
Locked Bag 7522,
McMahons Point, NSW 2060
The Privacy Officer
Reckon New Zealand Pty Ltd
PO Box 331 534
We will only use the personal information for the purpose for which it was given to us, or for purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities. We would only disclose information in circumstances permitted by the Privacy Principles, such as when:
- You have consented;
- You would reasonably expect, or have been otherwise made aware, that information of that kind is usually passed to individuals, bodies or agencies;
- It is otherwise required or authorised by law
Subject to the exceptions below, very little external disclosure of your personal information is made by Reckon outside the Reckon Group:
- Where an external party wishes to communicate with any or all parts of the Reckon user/Advantage member database, and Reckon is agreeable to this communication being sent, we would generally undertake the communication on behalf of the external party (but at their cost) so that;
- Information may be provided to third party technical support services located outside Australia, for the purposes of dealing with technical support issues you may have raised to assist you and/or or which may also assist us to improve our product and process generally. Please refer to “Third Party Service Providers” about our use of our third party suppliers and to “Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group”, to understand when your personal information may be disclosed to an overseas recipient
- where the information is disclosed to a credit referencing bureau;
- if required by law or to comply with a law, court order or legal process.
In the event there is a transaction which involves the sale or any or part of our business assets, it is possible that personal information we possess may be transferred as part of the transaction. Further, where reasonably practicable, we will specify that the personal information will be handled in accordance with this policy and consistently with the requirements of the Privacy Principles.
Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group
In accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act and Privacy Principles we advise that some personal information may be disclosed to a third party outside Australia. These parties may only use the information for the identified purpose and must use, handle and disclose the information in accordance with this Policy. Please also refer to “Third Party Service Providers” to understand our use of third party suppliers.
Circumstances where your information may be collected, disclosed or stored outside Australia:
Reckon APS products: Practice Management – on premise & Private Cloud
- When purchasing or renewing products or seeking technical support, you may be assisted by our overseas subsidiaries in New Zealand.
Reckon Accounts products, Reckon Advantage Membership
- When purchasing, registering or renewing products or seeking technical support, you may be assisted by our third party suppliers located in India.
- When installing and registering the product, personal information may be provided to our overseas subsidiary in the UK in order to obtain the licence key or other access credentials for you to be able to use the product. The portal is hosted on servers in secure data centres in the UK managed by third party suppliers. As a consequence documents accessed using the portal will also be hosted on these servers in the UK.
SMS texting services
- Using Reckon SMS services, your customer details are stored by Reckon in Australia. However, Reckon’s third party telecommunications service provider, relies on its global partner network to provide the services, so SMS texts sent using this service may be stored on the third party service provider’s global network.
- If you visit our website and provide personal information, we use third party service providers to provide analytics and information relating to your use of our website.
You may explore and browse our website without providing any information about yourself. When you visit our website, for example, to purchase any products, or enrol into a training course, technical support, contribute to a forum, register for an event, participate in a competition or promotion, request further information from us, we generally request that you provide personal information about yourself primarily so that we can respond to your query, provide you with further information, confirm your details, booking etc.
You may choose not to provide this information but this would prevent or minimise your ability to experience the full features of the website, such as online payments, access to some subscription products, restrict access to certain areas of the website or activities.
The Reckon website uses:
- “navigational information”. This is information about your computer and your visits to this website such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, pages viewed, referral source. We use this information to improve the website. We may combine the navigational information and personal information to provide you with more tailored information about our products and business.
Social Media & Public Forum
We also offer publicly accessible community forums, message boards and blogs. Please be mindful that any information you directly disclose through our public message boards, blogs, or forums, may be collected and used by others. We will correct or delete any information you have posted on the websites if you so request, please refer to “Access to Information and Complaints” section below.
Third Party Service Providers
We engage third party service providers to provide services to users of our websites and products and may need to share information, or give access to your personal information in order to provide information or products to you. The types of third party services may include analysing data, providing marketing assistance, technical support, consulting and training services relating to the installation, use, development, maintenance and support of our products, Reckon SMS services, providing office and document management services, such as Microsoft Office 365.
We do all things reasonably practicable to select third party service providers, who represent, or who, in our reasonable opinion, we believe will comply with the Privacy Principles in relation to the collection, use, storage , disclosure and security of your personal information consistent with the Privacy Principles and this policy and only use the information for which it is disclosed.
Some of these third party service providers may store or host their data, which may include personal information they have collected on our behalf, outside Australia. Please refer to “Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group”.
Information held by Third Parties
As a company incorporated in Australia and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, Reckon is required to maintain a register of members pursuant to the Corporations Law. This function has been contracted to an external provider, Computershare Limited (“CS”).
It is the usual practice for registers of listed companies to be managed by third parties. CS manages the members’ register on behalf of Reckon, which includes personal information relating to name and address details, security-holding balances, tax file numbers, bank account details and e-mail addresses. CS has its own Privacy Statement as to how it deals with personal information, and Reckon shareholders are directed to the Computershare website www.computershare.com/au for further information.
Third Party Websites
Our website and products may link to other websites. We do not control and are not responsible for, the content or data collection, handling and storage practices of any of these third party websites. Nor does the provision of any links to those websites constitute an endorsement of these other websites, their content or their practices. We do not have any control over any cookies or any tacking technologies they may apply.
Information Storage, Destruction & Security
Reckon is committed to take all reasonable steps to protect all its information, including from misuse, interference and loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
We require all our employees, contractors and agents to agree to obligations of confidentiality with respect to information collected, handled or held by us or on our behalf, such as personal information and client information.
Reckon uses electronic customer management and database systems to store most of the personal information. Some of the customer management and database systems are web-based. Some of these systems may be provided by third party service providers. Please also refer to “Third Party Service Providers”. Our databases and systems are accessed by authorised users and contain security features to ensure the protection and integrity of the data that we hold.
Reckon data and customer data created using Reckons products is stored on our servers which are kept in secure data centres owned and managed by third parties. Most of this data is hosted and stored in our data centre in Australia.
We generally return or destroy or de-identify data which has been provided to use for technical support or consulting purposes. Some data, once de-identified, may be kept for training or QA purpose so that we may continue to develop and improve our products and processes.
Some of your personal information may also be in stored in databases hosted by third party service providers, in Australia, US or other countries, please see the relevant paragraphs “Third Party Service Providers“ and “Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group” for more details.
Access to Information and Complaints
The Privacy Principles provide you with the right to access the personal information that we hold in relation to you. If you would like:
i. details of the personal information which we may hold about you; or,
ii. to correct any of the information that we hold;
iii. to complain about a bread of the Privacy Act or Privacy Principles, please contact us as follows:
Phone: 1800 RECKON (1800 732 566)
Phone: 0800 447 292
Or write to us:
The Privacy Officer
Locked Bag 7522,
McMahons Point, NSW 2060
The Privacy Officer
Reckon New Zealand Pty Ltd
PO Box 331 534
We have internal procedures in place to deal with such requests, and we may require further information from you to verify your identity. Generally, we will correct or give access to your personal information where it is reasonable and practicable to do so in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Principles. If Reckon refuses to correct, or grant access to the personal information on grounds consistent with the Privacy Principles, then Reckon will provide written notice to you of its decision and reasons for the decision in the form required under the Privacy Principles.
Furthermore, you may request a copy of this Statement from either the addresses referred to above or by phoning or emailing:
Ph. 1800 RECKON (1800 732 566)
Ph. 0800 447 292