Reckon is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of your personal data and to complying with its obligations under data protection legislation in the UK, including the Data Protection Act 1998.
This policy can be viewed on our website www.reckon.com
- The kind of information we collect and hold;
- How and when we may collect and hold personal information from you;
- The purposes for which we collect, hold use and disclose your personal information and what happens if we don’t collect the information;
- The limited circumstances where we are likely to disclose information to overseas recipients and in which countries they are located; and
- How you can contact us to access or correct personal information which we hold about you or complain about our collection, handling or disclosure of your information.
Personal data (referred to in this Policy as “personal information”) as defined in the UK Data Protection Act 1998 means: “data which relate to a living individual who can be identified —
(a) from those data, or
(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller, and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual”
The collection of personal information
We only collect and process personal information for purposes which relate to our business, functions and activities. Without your personal information, we may not be able to deliver or give you access to the Services, or provide you with technical assistance or updates for the Services.
We collect personal information in relation to the following purposes:
- Registering or activating one or more of the Services;
- Verifying and authenticating your purchase, initially and then during your period of use of the product, or where you may have changed details of the computer you are using with the product;
- Providing installation key codes, access codes or other related access details;
- Refunds and dealing with warranty issues;
- Poviding technical support, assistance, consulting services and training;
- improving our products and the Services; and
- Generally, to enable us to provide the product and information needed to ensuring you are able to enjoy the maximum benefit of our products.
We may also collect and use your personal information to:
- Promote our Services to you;
- To provide you with more relevant and personalised information to be more relevant to you and your business;
- Use the information to promote products to you of some of our network of associated service providers and product vendors;
- To de-identify your information, and using the de-identified information for internal use for the purposes of analytics with regard to use of our Services, development, training and demonstration of our Services; or for benchmarking and/or or sale to third parties.
When we collect personal information
We most commonly collect personal information directly from our customers or their authorised representatives. Sometimes we may collect information from a third party or a publically available source, but only if the person has consented to such collection.
In summary, we most commonly collect personal information when you:
1. Engage in product related activities, such as:
- When you purchase, register, install or use our Products
- When you use our technical support or consulting services
- When you participate in Reckon programs, eg: as a member of our Partner programmes, including as a re-seller
- When you provide us with copies of your database or give us access to your database and systems so that we can provide you with the technical support or consulting services you may have requested.
2. Engage with us in other ways, such as:
- In your normal communications with us, when you email, telephone us or give us your business card
- Attend public functions, events, seminars, roadshows, conferences, training run by or at which Reckon is present
- Enter competitions
- Use our website
- Participate in forums, such as Reckon Community or use other social media tools through our website or in relation to our Products
Transfer of Personal Data from the EU
Reckon uses data processing facilities provided by Amazon AWS, Equinix and Microsoft which are principally located in Sydney, Australia but may incidentally include other locations from time to time.
In order to provide the Services to you, we will transfer your personal data out of the European Union when you register for, subscribe to and use Reckon products and Services. This is necessary to give you access to the Services.
We will also carry out such processing in Australia as may be necessary to perform our contract with you or to implement measures requested by you.
After being transferred, your personal data will be securely stored on cloud storage infrastructure which we license from third parties including Amazon AWS, Equinix and Microsoft. We have entered into binding contractual safeguards to protect your personal data while it is being processed by Amazon AWS and Microsoft which satisfy the requirements of EU and Australian privacy law. You can view a copy of those terms here. However, you should be aware of the possible risks of such a transfer due to the absence of an adequacy decision from the European Commission in relation to Australia and other appropriate safeguards.
Examples of circumstances in which we will transfer your personal data include when you register for and subscribe to Reckon products, when we update or process your billing details, and when we conduct anonymised benchmarking and other analysis to improve the Services.
We are confident that Australian data protection law, in combination with the contractual safeguards adopted by Reckon and its service providers, guarantee a level of protection for your personal data that is at least as high as EU data protection standards. We have taken all necessary steps to adopt and enforce the appropriate safeguards and will at all times comply with (i) the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) insofar as processing is carried out in Australia, and (ii) the requirements of EU data protection legislation insofar as they apply.
You must have authorised this transfer in entering into the licence agreement with Reckon Limited and must have given your consent before using the Services.
When you purchase and use our Products, technical support and join Reckon programs we may collect information from you and others whose details you use with their consent:
- Upon purchasing by you of any of the Reckon Products offered through the Reckon website, any Reckon App, Reckon E-Store, Reckon Call Centre, through retail and other sales channels.
- Upon registration by you of any of the Reckon Products offered through the Reckon website, any Reckon App, Reckon E-Store, Reckon Call Centre, through retail and other sales channels, such as the Reckon Partner program.
- Upon entering an agreement with us for the installation or implementation of our Products, for example, Reckon APS practice management modules, or Reckon APS Private Cloud services.
- Upon the purchasing of upgraded versions or renewal of subscription versions of Reckon Products, often in response to our having communicated with you about such upgrades.
- When you use the Services or any of their constituent products.
- When you use our website, community forum, blogs, message boards, & social media links from our website.
- Upon the joining, or renewal, of various Reckon programs, including Reckon Advantage or the Reckon Partner program.
- Upon seeking to become a Reckon product reseller where stock is provided on credit, we may seek financial details before approving the appointment as a reseller.
- When you contact us for technical support or, in relation to Reckon APS Products you may also contact us for consulting services, whether online, telephone or in person. Please refer to “Disclosure to overseas recipients outside the Reckon Group”, to understand when your personal information may be disclosed to an overseas recipient, when using our technical support or consulting services.
- We also collect personal information indirectly from Reckon Partners relating to Reckon Products you have purchased through them.
Personal information may also be collected when customers sign up for add-on services provided by third party suppliers such as banking services (eg for bank data downloads), or merchant accounts, other payment services, SMS text services, such as Reckon SMS services, share trading services, wealth management, bill payments services and the like.
When your contact with us does not relate to a purchased product
We also collect personal information at other times, which do not relate specifically to your purchase or use of our Services, as described below:
- From delegates who attend our roadshows, briefings, seminars, product training and demonstrations, as well as other public events where registration forms and feedback forms are filled out by attendees.
- From entrants in Reckon competitions, wherever offered, such as via direct mail campaigns, a Reckon website, social media or any other media, at seminars or public events, which may or may not be hosted by Reckon
- Upon registering to request information from us on our website or your responses to offers or other marketing campaigns, competitions on our website or direct marketing campaigns.
- Use of our website, community forum, blogs, message boards, & social media links from our website.
If you do not wish us to contact you following such contact please advise us at the time of such contact or immediately following our first use of your information thereafter. We will not make it a condition of these activities that you consent to our receipt of your personal data nor its retention or any other use. You will be asked to consent to such use by Reckon.
The types of personal information we process
The personal information collected from you or your authorised agent directly, would generally comprise name, address, postal address, telephone, fax and e-mail contact details, other authorised users of your product, where applicable, as well as the details of the Reckon product that you use.
High level information in relation to your business may be also be collected and may include details of your industry or profession, for the purpose of better understanding your business and needs in relation to our product.
We collect information from you when installing the product and use of your product, ie a file on your hard drive records the date of installation, such as the unique product number of the computer, collected in relation to your use of the software, for example which may include internet protocol address, hardware identification, operating system, application software, peripheral hardware, non-personally identifiable software usage statistics.
In relation to certain Products, we may collect and handle the following;
- Reckon BankData: bank details solely for purpose of providing your authorisation and obtaining relevant approvals from your relevant bank so that you can receive the relevant bank feeds using our Products, for example in your applications to authorise bankfeeds;
- Reckon SuperLink: banking details and your employees’ personal information for the purposes of transmitting the payment instructions using Westpac QuickSuper portal to process the superannuation payments in accordance with your instructions;
- Information held in databases created using our hosted or online Products, such as SyncDirect, Reckon One, Reckon Accounts Hosted or Reckon APS Private Cloud. The information collected would be collated and de-identified, before being used for benchmarking or sale to third parties.
Using our website or social media tools
Depending on the type of activity you are engaging in, we may collect information directly and indirectly when you use our website or social media tools. We may also collect unidentifiable information from you relating to the pages you visit etc. See also “Reckon Website” and “Social Media & Public Forum” below.
Where you have provided your personal details when visiting our website, such as your membership, account or customer details, or registered for an activity, entered transactions you have entered whether paid or free, we may also collect information from you relating to how you use our website, the pages you have viewed, nature of the requests or enquiries you have made etc.
Technical support or consulting services
If you request technical assistance or, in relation to Reckon APS Products, consulting services, you may contact us online, telephone or in person. We may require the following information from you in order to provide you the assistance needed:
- Information relating to your problem and our suggested solutions are also recorded by us to assist in better customer relationship management;
- You may also need to provide copies of your data or grant access to your database, provide password, pin or other access details in order that we may assist you with your problem or inquiry. Where passwords or other access details are provided, we strongly recommend that you update those access details once your issue has been resolved;
- You may also be required to provide other details for the purposes of identification and verifying authorisations to provide support, such as if you require us to make any changes to your account or settings;
- Information collected from you in relation to technical support or consulting services may be obtained from you online or by telephone, and in the case of consulting services, they may also obtained on or off your premises.
How we use and handle this information
Where information is collected in relation to the purchase or use of a Reckon product, we use your personal information in the following ways:
- We collect personal information so that we can communicate with you about the Products that you use and efficiently manage and administer all Products we provide to you. These communications could relate to software upgrades, feature variations or enhancements, billings any particular issues or problems that have been detected within the software and corrective measures that may be taken, and informing you of other Reckon Products, including the availability of specialised, software specific, stationery Products, debt recovery services, software training services, share trading services, banking services, seminars relating to associated Products such as share trading classes and other types of classes.
- Identification and revalidation of software end-users assists Reckon in establishing who is legally permitted to use the various Reckon Products and therefore assists us in enforcing copyright and intellectual property rights.
- Product information collected when it is installed or used assists us to regularly revalidate that the product is being used on the correct computer and is not installed on other computers without your authority and outside the terms of our licence.
- The information we collect from you relating to your use of the Products facilitates the provisioning of updates, support, invoicing or online services to you.
- In the case of Reckon BankData we only collect data from you to enable you to authorise the relevant bank or financial institution to provide the bankfeeds to be provided and imported into your service using the BankData service.
- Aggregated information:
- We may also aggregate information which does relate to you to help us to monitor and improve the effectiveness of our website and overall communication to you, for example, providing you information and Products relating to matters for which you have indicated an interest in your browsing of our website, or participation in our online activities, requesting information from about Products, articles, technical support etc.
- We may also aggregate (and de-identify) information which does not relate to you (containing no information identifiable to a specific person) which is collected:
- In relation to your purchase and/or use of our Products or relating to use of our website, social media and blogs etc, it may sometimes be used for research and analysis purposes by us or contracted service providers for us to better understand statistical trends in industry and product usage; or
- From databases created using our online or hosted Products, for example in SyncDirect, Reckon One, Reckon Accounts Hosted, Reckon APS Private Cloud relating to various expense or payment trends. This information is first de-identified then may be used for benchmarking and/or for sale to third parties.
- Financial information:
- In the case of financial information requested from parties wishing to be resellers this information is used to perform credit referencing and checking.
- Where credit card information is provided, we use it solely to check your financial qualifications and/or to collect payment from you.
- Technical support or consulting
- Your information will only by used or accessed for:
- The purposes of resolving your technical issue with the product; and
- In some instances your information may be used or shared with other departments or entities within Reckon Group, for the purposes of improving our product or business; or
- Your information will be de-identified and used for product development training and the demonstration of our Products; and
- Once your issue has been resolved your information is returned, destroyed or de-idenitified.
- Your information will only by used or accessed for:
- Where you might have purchased a product from one of our network of Reckon partners:
- Then the relevant partner will also have your information and they may from time to time contact you for the purpose of renewal of subscriptions based upon our records of whether or not you have renewed;
- We may at the request of a Reckon partner provide information relating to the status of licences held by people who have purchased a Reckon product from the relevant Reckon partner; and/or
- We may provide de-identified personal information to our Reckon partners, who may or may not be the partner you purchased a Reckon product for market analysis, eg number of current licences for our Products held in specific region etc.
- To communicate and promote our Products and business.
If the personal information was collected through your other contact with us, ie. not relating to your purchase or use of our product(s), we use your personal information in the following ways:
- To follow up any enquiries you may have made a regarding our business or Products and, because of the circumstances or express instructions from you, we will communicate with you about Products we understand you have or a likely to have an interest. Most of this communication with you will be by email. In all email communication of this kind with you, you will have the opportunity to opt out of any further emails.
- To tailor our communication with you to ensure the information and communication you receive from us is relevant to you.
- To assess and improve the effectiveness of our website and communication with you.
- To communicate and promote our Products and business.
We will cease to do so on your request.
We will only use your personal information for direct marketing where we have obtained your consent, directly or indirectly and in compliance with the UK and EU legislation. In the absence of express consent from you, we will only use the information in a way that you would reasonably expect your personal information to be used in relation to our business and Products. For example, if you provide your business card to one of our employees at an event, we may communicate with you about our Products or future events, unless you instruct us not to do so. In all our direct marketing to you, you will always have the ability to request us to discontinue sending to you any further of such direct marketing material to you.
If you would prefer not to receive communications from us that do not relate to any Products to which you have subscribed or which you have purchased, please contact us as follows:
Contact number: 0845 166 1165
Contact email: email@example.com
Or write to us:
Reckon Software UK
Unit G, South Cambridge Business Park, Cambridge, CB22 3JH
We will only use the personal information for the purpose for which it was given to us, or for purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities. We would only disclose information in circumstances permitted by the UK and EU data protection laws, such as when:
- You have consented;
- It is otherwise required or authorised by law
- Where an external party wishes to communicate with any or all parts of the Reckon user/Advantage member database, and Reckon is agreeable to this communication being sent;
- Information may be provided to third party technical support services located outside Australia, for the purposes of dealing with technical support issues you may have raised to assist you and/or or which may also assist us to improve our product and process generally.
- Where the information is disclosed to a credit referencing bureau;
- If required by law or to comply with a law, court order or legal process.
In the event there is a transaction which involves the sale or any or part of our business assets, it is possible that personal information we possess may be transferred as part of the transaction. Further, where reasonably practicable, we will specify that the personal information must be handled in accordance with this policy and consistently with the requirements of the UK and EU laws.
You may explore and browse our website without providing any information about yourself. When you visit our website, for example, to purchase any Products, or enrol into a training course, technical support, contribute to a forum, register for an event, participate in a competition or promotion, request further information from us, we generally request that you provide personal information about yourself primarily so that we can respond to your query, provide you with further information, confirm your details, booking etc.
You may choose not to provide this information but this would prevent or minimise your ability to experience the full features of the website, such as online payments, access to some subscription Products, restrict access to certain areas of the website or activities.
The Reckon website uses:
- “navigational information”. This is information about your computer and your visits to this website such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, pages viewed, referral source. We use this information to improve the website. We may combine the navigational information and personal information to provide you with more tailored information about our Products and business.
Social media & public forum
We also offer publicly accessible community forums, message boards and blogs. Please be mindful that any information you directly disclose through our public message boards, blogs, or forums, may be collected and used by others. We will correct or delete any information you have posted on the websites if you so request, please refer to “Access to Information and Complaints” section below.
Third party service providers
No personal data will be exported from the EEA to any third party for any reason save for social media and as provided above for add-on services provided by third party suppliers such as banking services, bank data downloads, superannuation payment services, merchant accounts, SMS text services.
We engage third party service providers to provide services to users of our websites and Products and may need to share information, or give access to your personal information in order to provide information or Products to you. The types of third party services may include analysing data, providing marketing assistance, technical support, consulting and training services relating to the installation, use, development, maintenance and support of our Products, Reckon SMS services, providing office and document management services, such as Microsoft Office 365.
We will only select third party service providers, who will comply with UK and EU data protection regulations and principles in relation to the collection, use, storage, disclosure and security of your personal information and only use the information for which consent has been given by you.
Information held by third parties
Third party websites
Our website and Products may link to other websites. We do not control and are not responsible for, the content or data collection, handling and storage practices of any of these third party websites. Nor does the provision of any links to those websites constitute an endorsement of these other websites, their content or their practices. We do not have any control over any cookies or any tracking technologies they may apply.
Information storage, destruction & security
Reckon is committed to take all reasonable steps to protect all your personal information, including from misuse, interference and loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
We require all our employees, contractors and agents to agree to obligations of confidentiality with respect to information collected, handled or held by us or on our behalf, such as personal information and client information.
Reckon uses electronic customer management and database systems to store most of the personal information. Some of the customer management and database systems are web-based. Some of these systems may be provided by third party service providers. Our databases and systems are accessed by authorised users and contain security features to ensure the protection and integrity of the data that we hold.
Customer data created using Reckons Products is stored on our servers which are kept in secure data centres owned by third parties but managed, administered and controlled by Reckon.
We generally return or destroy or de-identify data which has been provided to use for technical support or consulting purposes.Some data, once de-identified, may be kept for training or QA purpose so that we may continue to develop and improve our Products and processes.
Some of your personal information (supplied when you signed up for the Products) may also be in stored in the above secure data centres in Australia.
Access to information and complaints
If you would like:
i. details of the personal information which we may hold about you; or,
ii. to correct any of the information that we hold;
iii. to complain about a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 or any other legislation relating to personal data, please contact us as follows:
Reckon Software UK
Contact number: 0845 166 1165
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post: Unit G, South Cambridge Business Park, Cambridge, CB22 3JH
We have internal procedures in place to deal with such requests, and we may require further information from you to verify your identity. Generally, we will correct or give access to your personal information where it is reasonable and practicable to do so in accordance with the provisions of UK and EU laws. If Reckon refuses to correct, or grant access to the personal information on grounds consistent with UK and EU laws, then Reckon will provide written notice to you of its decision and reasons for the decision.
Furthermore, you may request a copy of this Statement from either the addresses referred to above or by phoning or emailing:
Last updated April 2016